ask about stable

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Feb 20 14:10:14 UTC 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:29 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml at my.gd> wrote:

> Here, I think this is what you're looking for:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>

> You should be able to move from 9.1-RELEASE to 9-STABLE with freebsd-update :)

Except that the freebsd-update(8) man page includes the following:

DESCRIPTION

     The freebsd-update tool is used to fetch, install, and rollback binary
     updates to the FreeBSD base system.  Note that updates are only available
     if they are being built for the FreeBSD release and architecture being
     used; in particular, the FreeBSD Security Team only builds updates for
     releases shipped in binary form by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team,
     e.g., FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE and FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, but not FreeBSD
     6.3-STABLE or FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT.

In other words, you can't use it to track -STABLE or -CURRENT.

Cheers,

Paul.