NFS resources, how to check version

Janusz Bulik januszbulik at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:37:50 UTC 2013

Hello,

I set up NFSv4 server. To make sure I set
vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers=4. I can check its version, for example,
by tcpduming and then I can see in wireshark lines like:
Network File System
Program Version: 4
V4 Procedure: COMPOUND....

is there any easier way to check its version?
I see there is nfsstat -e option which shows delegs and locks. But all
other ones are combined with nfsv3 I guess (On Ubuntu there are
separate lines: v3 and v4)

and on the client side, is it possible to check which version is
exported or mounted?
something like
% showmount -e nfsserver

Is forcing mount to use nfsv4 100% sure? (mount -t nfs -o nfsv4 ....)

and btw. Is forcing mount to use -sec=krb5 (with
-sec=sys:krb5:krb5i:krb5p in /etc/exports) also 100% sure?
because it mounts and doesn't give ticket for nfs/nfsserver.
So, I guess if -sec=krb5 is not available, it mounts with -sec=sys, right?
With -sec=krb5:krb5i:krb5p in /etc/exports it doesn't mount.
I am wondering if you force -o nfsv4, it wouldn't mount it like nfsv3.

Happy Valentines!

--
Best wishes
Janusz