9.1 AMD64 multitasking efficiency low

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 11 15:41:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM, CeDeROM <cederom at tlen.pl> wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I have found 9.1 to be far more less responsive than 9.0 and previous
> releases on my desktop. I have noted this slow down at 9.1-RC. I have
> AMD64 4GB RAM i3 CPU and when I simply run Chromium, VBox with Windows
> XP 64bit (1GB allocated) and VBox with Ubuntu 64bit (1GB allocated) my
> machine gets unresponsive - it does not even respond to ACPI shutdown,
> I need to kill it to get working again :-( I did not happen before.
>
> I have also noted that VBox 4.2.6 is working far more slower and makes
> bigger impact on the whole host performance - sometimes I need to wait
> some seconds to get the machine response back, this happens especially
> at loading stage :-(
>
> Is there any way to get back the efficiency of my FreeBSD? Maybe I
> need to bump some configuration to make it more efficient? :-)
>
> Any hints appreciated :-)
> Tomek

You can try to switch to emulators/virtualbox-ose-legacy which is
VirtualBox 4.1.x
just to rule out that this is a vbox regression. Just be sure to power
down the VMs
first.
It would be interesting to watch if the machine starts to swap when that is all
running.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/