setfacl man page states "d=delete_child" and "D=delete"

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 18:46:41 UTC 2013

Wiadomość napisana przez Harald Schmalzbauer w dniu 8 lut 2013, o godz. 16:08:
> Hello,
>
> I think there's a confusion in the man page setfacl(1).
>
> In my tests, "D" means "delete_child" and "d" "delete"; like it's true
> for other NFSv4 implementations. But manpage tells the other way around.

Fixed the man page, thanks!

[..]

> P.S.: Btw., can anybody explain me why (at some time, someone decided
> that) write permission to a directory does override file permissions
> inside the directory?

Not sure what you mean here.  If you're asking why having write permission
to the directory gives the ability to remove files inside that directory,
despite not having write permission to the files themselves - well, that's
how it always worked.  I guess the rationale is that when you remove a file,
you're modifying (writing) the directory, not the file contents.

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?