So I whip out a FTDI-based multiport Serial USB Adapter.... [SB QUAR: Tue Feb 5 10:15:47 2013]

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Feb 6 15:20:38 UTC 2013

On 2/5/2013 11:25 AM, CeDeROM wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
>> The FTDI adapter has the provision for an external power supply (+5V)
>> but it does not require it unless you're running off an unpowered bus,
>> which is not normally the case.  500ma is quite a bit of available energy.
> Karl, can you please use external power supply to power up the adapter
> - with and without the additional devices step by step - this way we
> will eliminate one of the possible causes :-)

That's pretty-clearly not the problem -- I have removed the KVM from the
system and added a couple other USB devices, including switching the UPS
attached to it from serial communication to USB, and it's fine.

Whatever is going on here it's KVM-related, not the FTDI box.  That's an
interesting issue all on its own but one that may be rather difficult to
solve -- let's toss this thread and I'll start a new one when I can
start chasing the KVM issue -- that's one that's not good as well, but I
will check across OS revisions and see if it's limited to 9.x or whether
it shows up on other, older releases as well first.

--
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker ®/ <http://market-ticker.org>