So I whip out a FTDI-based multiport Serial USB Adapter....

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Mon Feb 4 20:58:09 UTC 2013

On 2/4/2013 2:06 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 12:57 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
>> ... and plug it into FreeBSD 9.1-Stable with the rev ID FreeBSD
>> 9.1-STABLE #16 r244942
>>
>> and it returns....
>>
>> ugen4.4: <vendor 0x0409> at usbus4
>> uhub6: <vendor 0x0409 product 0x0050, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 4>
>> on usbus4
>> uhub_attach: port 1 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub_attach: port 2 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub_attach: port 3 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub_attach: port 4 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub_attach: port 5 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub_attach: port 6 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub_attach: port 7 power on failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
>> uhub6: 7 ports with 7 removable, self powered
>>
>> Yuck.
>>
>> The last time it was working was on a FreeBSD 7 box (yeah, I know,
>> rather old) but I never had problems there.  And it appears that all of
>> the device declarations that I used to have to put in the kernel as
>> non-standard stuff are now in GENERIC, so I would expect it to work.
>>
>> Ideas as to what may have gotten hosed up here?
>>
> Those messages all seem to be related to a hub. Vendor ID 0x0409 is NEC.
>
> FTDI's vendor ID is 0x0403, and FTDI stuff works fine in FreeBSD 9 and
> 10; I use it all the time.  Sometimes aftermarket vendors who use FTDI's
> parts program different vendor/product info and IDs have to be added to
> code to recognize them, that's the only trouble one usually encounters.
>
> -- Ian
Well, that sorta kinda worked.

Except that it still is identifying it as a hub too, and the two collide
and crash the stack.

But I can't find anything that is looking at the PID (0x0050) or the
definition (HUB_0050) anywhere in the code.

I'll go pull the NEC defs and set up something else instead of simply
adding it to the FTDI probe list.

--
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker ®/ <http://market-ticker.org>