BIND segway -> python -> first-class ports

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Sun Dec 8 19:28:18 UTC 2013

On Dec 8, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>>> Tom hit the nail on the head and perfectly described the proposal. Thank you Tom.  Kevin, thanks for being open to the idea.
>>>

>>> My hope is that it allows us to build richer system.  For instance, go look at portsnap(1), it's written in sh(1) and due to that it's pretty slow
>>
>> Perhaps bsdconfig is the exception to that rule (and can lend a hand).
>> I designed bsdconfig to run fast under double-emulation...
>>
>> + Running under qemu, while...
>> + Qemu is running inside a VM, wile...
>> + VM has only 1 CPU and 128MB RAM, with minimal disk space, while...
>> + VM is running on a 8 year old laptop
>>
>> The idea is that... if you develop for the worst of environments... you'll get
>> screamin' performance on modern hardware.
>>
>> In my emulation environment... a single fork is very costly.
>>
>> So...
>>
>> Does portsnap need some work? is that what I'm hearing? (smiles)
>
> My take is that you are a very talented person who shouldn't be spending time micro optimizing shell code and instead be granted a language that makes writing such tools more efficiently easier.
>
> So if I were going to task the talented Devin Teske with something, remember you just asked my opinion, then it would be to look at putting Lua in the boot loader, getting python into base, or working on making our utilities be able to output standard machine readable formats such as yaml, XML and json.

My opinion is one of...

+ I get to work with an amazing team
+ I love to please

So if that's the consenting direction, I'll go that route ;D

I can see the value-add in all of those things. My only fear is recoil (so perhaps
a test bed of FreeNAS to show those things are of great value once added).
--
Devin