OVH KS-2G Random Reboots [FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p6]

Paul Chakravarti paul.chakravarti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 22:39:17 UTC 2013

On 29 Aug 2013, at 22:54, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 29.08.2013 um 23:09 schrieb Paul Chakravarti <paul.chakravarti at gmail.com>:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone else is having reboot issues running FreeBSD 9.1 on the OVH KS-2G low-cost dedicated servers (amazingly cheap at £2.49/month - see http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml).
>>
>> I am running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p6 and am getting multiple random reboots daily (sometimes hours apart, sometimes minutes).
>>
>> Unfortunately there is no evidence anywhere on the system of the cause of these, in particular nothing at all in logs other then the kernel coming back up and nothing in /var/crash (I do have dumpdev=AUTO in rc.conf).
>>
>> I am running the standard kernel updated by 'freebsd-update' and have removed the OVH RTM stuff. There is no particular load on the system at the time.
>>
>> I suspect that it might be a hardware issue however have tried extended runs (upto 8 hours) of 'cpuburn' and 'stress' from ports which run fine. Strangely there seem to be less reboots under heavy load but that may just be perception.
>

> Could it be that under heavy load, the fans spin up and then the whole rig is actually cooler?
>
> Sounds weird, I know. But that was the very first thought that crossed my mind.
>
> Can't you just rent another one, transfer your data and then cancel the contract on the first?
>
> That way, you really get a different rig ;-)

That's an interesting idea. I have loaded coretemp and monitored CPU temp during the stress tests (which is pretty stable) but could be something else on the board.

Transferring to new box is a good idea, unfortunately they have sold out (and have a huge backlog) but hopefully this will sort itself out shortly. Other then the reboots (!) it's a really good box.

Paul