Boot problem if a ZFS log device is missing

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 29 09:02:33 UTC 2013

on 29/08/2013 11:27 Maurizio Vairani said the following:

> I am able to boot the PC without a cache device but not without a log device. Why ?

The log could potentially contain uncommitted entries.  Without the log device
there is no knowing if it did or did not.  And if it did then the pool is
inconsistent state without the log device and so it can not be imported.

The cache is not persistent and so there is nothing needed from it upon a boot.

--
Andriy Gapon