Behavior of jexec

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Thu Aug 15 17:24:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

I noticed two things when running jexec. I run FreeBSD 9.2-RC1 from
binaries and jails 9.2-RC1 too.

I log as root on the host (I havn't any other user).

# 1. $HOME

For a jail named "blog" with a "blog" user, which $HOME is at
/home/blog, if I do:

jexec -U blog blog tcsh

My id is correct, but $HOME is still root.

# 2. Accessing a jail in ssh command line

I'm on my "client" machine and want to get on the "server" machine,
where jails are, and I want to do a jexec from ssh command line:

ssh katana jexec -U blog blog tcsh

I get a connection (trusting /var/log/auth) but it hangs on and do
nothing. Event with a simple "ls" as jail command.

Thanks.

--
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent at peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail.