VTNET + pf + TSO performance

Bryan Venteicher bryanv at daemoninthecloset.org
Sun Aug 11 00:17:13 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi
>
> Was there any progress on the thread below? I have a freebsd guest ontop of
> solaris 11 exhibiting this problem. I'm on a pretty upto date stable
> kernel. The TSO fix works fine but i guess im taking a performance hit with
> it disabled

I'm not totally sure what is going on. FreeBSD checksum offloading is a
bit limited w.r.t. some virtualization use cases, but that doesn't look
like what you are running into if you just have to disable TSO.

What hypervisor are you using on Solaris 11? Can you post a bootverbose
dmesg of your guest? I suspect your hypervisor is advertising TSO (GSO
in VirtIO/Linux speak) when the tap/bridge/physical interface doesn't
actually support it and does not do the segmentation in software as a
fallback.