SOLVED: Re: NFS locking between 8.3-STABLE (jan 2013) and 9.2-BETA2 -- Firefox SQLite locking issue

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Aug 8 11:58:48 UTC 2013

John Reynolds wrote:
> > About all you need to do is add a "V4: ..." line to your
> > /etc/exports
> > and then set nfsv4_server_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and reboot.
> > On the client mount, you need to add "nfsv4" as a mount option.
> I had to enable the proper daemons and mount on the client from the
> actual server mount point (previously in NFSv3 I could mount a
> symbolic
> link which pointed to the actual disk--now with NFSv4 I couldn't do
> that, but it's OK) but it worked!
>
> After I got my home dir to mount under NFSv4 I went into Xorg and
> fired
> up Firefox (with a brand new profile just to be on the safe side) and
> BOOM! Everything works that Firefox relies on SQLite for (bookmarks,
> and
> link history). Bookmark editor as well as the <- and -> arrows show
> up
> and work now as expected.
>
> I am running 8.4-STABLE as of Aug 6th on my server (it will be
> upgraded
> to 9.2-STABLE once I can find the time) and the client is 9.2-BETA2
> just
> for the record. So it seems that 8.x and 9.x talk to each other just
> fine. I have not noticed anything odd performancewise--just that when
> "umount" the directory it seems to "think about it" for 10-15 seconds
> before doing it. I don't know if that's just the "way it is" or if I
> can
> configure something more fine-tuned.

It is "just the way it is", I think. It has to close all outstanding
opens (and return delegations, if they are enabled) during the umount.
I'm a bit surprised it takes 10-15sec, but not that amazed.;-)

Have fun with it, rick
ps: I realized I forgot to mention enabling the nfsuserd daemon on both
    client and server in the last post.