Please remove Perl from ports

Chris H bsd-lists at 1command.com
Thu Aug 1 18:32:33 UTC 2013

Greetings Stephen, and thank you for your thoughtful reply.
> On 08/01/2013 10:31 AM, Chris H wrote:
>
>> So, in the end; why did Perl have to be relocated? Is my only
>> recourse at this point to
>> # cd /
>> # rm -rf .
>
> When I get into this kind of bad situation, I usually do something
> slightly less drastic:
> # pkg_delete -a
> # find -d /usr/local -type d -exec rmdir {} \;
> This last command removes empty directories in /usr/local (it also
> produces lots of error messages when it tries to remove non-empty
> directories).  Then I look through the contents of /usr/local,
> especially if there is anything in /usr/local/etc or /usr/local/libexec
> where some of my manually changed configuration files reside.  And then
> I delete any crud left over that I know I don't need.
>
> After that, I rebuild all the ports from scratch.
>
> Finally, I do understand why you feel the need to vent, and I don't want
> to belittle your feelings of frustration.  But I do think everyone is
> trying their best.
I believe this for the most part, as well. Being, and having been involved
in a vast multitude of large projects, over the years. Has given me a
keen understanding of all the burdens, one can come to expect. The many,
many hours w/o sleep. The seemingly never ending stress that comes from
frequently running right up to, or beyond deadlines. Having to greet rabid
users with a calm tone, and a smile. As such, and with the nearly 30yrs.
using *BSD, I have come to expect quite a bit more, than I have experienced,
in recent months. Make no mistake; I have no intention of throwing the
baby out w/ the bath water here. But *recent* changes have given me cause
for alarm. That the BSD I have come to know, love, and greatly depend on.
Is becoming something *quite* different. And if I don't say something, how
will those the make the changes know what their user base thinks? How
will they know what affects those changes has on them?
Frankly, I *still* have no idea why it was _so_ important to change the
install structure for Perl on FreeBSD. That the (possible) outcome of
such a change, should have little, no concern. I can assure you, I am not
an edge case. My first (recent) up(grade|date) experience caused me great
pain. I spent much time in the forums helping others. Sharing solutions
I have found. In fact, I try to spend as much time, as I can, helping
others in forums, with their (FreeBSD related) problems.
> I like to tell people that running FreeBSD or Linux
> is like owning a souped up sports car - usually it runs really well, but
> it often needs a lot of attention.  (Windows is like driving a cheap car
> that breaks down all the time, but engine is designed in such a way as
> to be totally inaccessible with regards to repairs.  And Apple is like
> driving a BMW - it mostly works well but you pay a lot for it.)
Easy does it. You're treading on shaky ground here. ;)
I'm rather fond of my 735i, and I couldn't imagine life w/o it.
In fact, I'm looking to replace the OBC with a FreeBSD powered version --
assuming the dust from recent events, settles down. :)

Best wishes, and thanks again for your reply.

--chris