Please remove Perl from ports

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 1 15:47:51 UTC 2013

I can't comment on the perl changes directly, but I can assure you that
if you use port-mgmt/pkg  (pkgng) and build your ports into packages via
ports-mgmt/poudriere you will have zero upgrade problems -- a simple
"pkg upgrade" will handle the scenario properly. I really haven't tried
following UPDATING with portmaster/portupgrade to see what happens. I'd
suspect that portmaster is doing something wrong, but further
investigation is really necessary to have a solid conclusion of what
happened on your server(s).

For the first time in ages the ports environment on FreeBSD is rapidly
evolving. There are many, many new features that benefit the whole of
the userbase and will ease support and deployment across the board.
We're trying to limit turbulence, but sometimes things are
unforeseeable. This is the nature of the incredible flexibility of
FreeBSD's ports; there's more than one way to do something.