make buildkernel for GENERIC 9-STABLE just hangs, no error

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 17 18:16:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 09:10:59AM +0200, Olav Gr?n?s Gjerde wrote:
> I have a weird problem while building the GENERIC 9-STABLE kernel. After
> around 5 minutes of compile time, the process just hangs on same place. No
> error. I've tried compiling different commits from this week with the same
> result.
>
> The part in the buildkernel process that hangs is this:
> MAKE=make sh /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh GENERIC
> /usr/local/bin/svnversion
> cc -c -O2 -frename-registers -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing  -std=c99 -g -Wall
> -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -Wundef
> -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions  -Wmissing-include-dirs
> -fdiagnostics-show-option   -nostdinc  -I. -I/usr/src/sys
> -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/altq -D_KERNEL -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS -include
> opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100
> --param large-function-growth=1000  -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel
> -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float
> -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -Werror
> vers.c
> ctfconvert -L VERSION -g vers.o
> linking kernel.debug
> ctfmerge -L VERSION -g -o kernel.debug ............+ alot of *.o
>
> Any suggestions?

In the DTrace commit message thread, you mentioned that you were
upgrading from an old 8-STABLE to 9 when you got the hang.  Could you
quantify how old that 8-STABLE was/is?  If it's pre-8.3 it would be
really helpful if you could upgrade to 8.3 and test that.  If that works
then I think a note in UPDATING would be sufficient as our historical
policy has been to support upgrading to release X.Y from
(X-1).<newest>.  If it turns out that we need to upgrade to 8.4 we may
need to consider backing this out for a bit.

-- Brooks