Release ISO images have broken RockRidge data

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Tue Apr 9 13:22:40 UTC 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 7:00 AM, Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein at rdtc.ru> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Release ISO images located at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/
> were generated with mkisofs until switch to makefs. For example,
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.2/FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso
> was generated with mkisofs and has correct RockRidge extended attributes.
>
> # isoinfo -d -R -i FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso
> System id: FreeBSD
> Volume id: FreeBSD_LiveFS
> Volume set id:
> Publisher id: The FreeBSD Project.  http://www.freebsd.org/
> Data preparer id:
> Application id: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD CD-R/DVD CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
> Copyright File id:
> Abstract File id:
> Bibliographic File id:
> Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
> Rock Ridge id 'RRIP_1991A'
> Eltorito validation header:
>    Hid 1
>        Bootid 88 (bootable)
>
> This image may be unrolled correctly with respect to hardlinks using xorriso command from ports:
>
> # xorriso -for_backup -load volid \* -indev ../FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso  -osirrox on -- -extract / livefs -rollback_end
>
> Newer images (8.3 and later) were generated using makefs that seem to produce incorrect RockRidge data:
>
> # isoinfo -d -R -i FreeBSD-8.4-BETA1-amd64-livefs.iso | grep id
> System id: NetBSD
> Volume id: FREEBSD_LIVEFS
> Volume set id:
> Publisher id:
> Data preparer id:
> Application id:
> Copyright File id:
> Abstract File id:
> Bibliographic File id:
> Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
> Rock Ridge id 'IEEE_P1282'
> Eltorito validation header:
>    Hid 1
>        Bootid 88 (bootable)
>
> Same xorriso command produces tons of following error messages and unrolls the image
> without respect  to hardlinkg increasing size in nearly 3 times:
>
> libisofs: WARNING : Invalid TF entry
> Caused by: Wrong or damaged RR entry
>
> bsdtar from 8.3-STABLE shows lots of errors too, while extracting FreeBSD-8.4-BETA1-amd64-livefs.iso
> mdconfig breaks hardlinks too.
>
> Is it possible to unroll this image respecting hardlinks?
>
> Eugene Grosbein

While not the same you can always do this

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f yourfreebsd-version.iso

mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /cdrom

Then use pax, cpio , cp, rsync etc to copy the data off the image .

Also if memory serves me right libarchive may be able to unpack an iso much like a tar or cpio archive . Double check that .

Also makefs was imported from netbsd I would see if netbsd's isos have the same issues .

Hope this helps
---
Mark saad | mark.saad at longcount.org