How go back from X.Y-RELEASE-pZ to X.Y-RELEASE?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Fri Nov 23 12:25:25 UTC 2012

On 11/23/2012 12:22 PM, Peter Olsson wrote:
> We are currently using cvs for both source and ports.
> I have begun changing to portsnap for ports, and I
> would also like to try changing at least some of our
> servers to freebsd-update.
>
> But all servers have been patched, using either RELENG_8_3
> or RELENG_9_0 as cvs tag. I need to revert them to their
> respective RELEASE to be able to use freebsd-update.
> Complete reinstall from eg CD is not an option, and I don't
> want to upgrade to a newer RELEASE at the moment.
>
> Can I change the cvs tags to RELENG_8_3_0_RELEASE or
> RELENG_9_0_0_RELEASE, and then build/install world and
> kernel as usual?
> Or will that method cause problems for the system or the
> installed ports?
>
> Thanks!

RELENG_9_0 and RELENG_8_3 are RELEASE branches including patches
(8.3-RELEASE-p4 for instance), so you should be able to use freebsd-update
ont them without changing anything.
If the servers are up to date then freebsd-update doesn't have to do
anything for them untill the next paches for them come around.

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.