Increasing the DMESG buffer....

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 22 22:05:35 UTC 2012

On 22 November 2012 06:30, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Neither ICH, nor any other driver I know have amount of information
> comparable to what HDA hardware provides. So the analogy is not good.
> Respecting that most CODECs have no published datasheets, that information
> is the only input for debugging.
>
> snd_hda also uses hw.snd.verbose=3. But it is used for even deeper driver
> debugging. It also enables a lot of debugging in sound(4), that can be too
> verbose for HDA debugging.
>
> I will recheck again how can it be reorganized, but I think that the real
> problem is not in HDA. We need some way to structure and filter the output.

I honestly would like to just see it spat out using a userland tool,
rather than having the kernel print that level of topology data out.

It's highly unlikely that a topology problem is going to cause a
system to not boot, right? So the kernel itself doesn't need to be
able to spit that data out.

adrian