Help review the FAQ

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Nov 19 20:03:35 UTC 2012

On 11/19/12 18:44, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> The FAQ for FreeBSD needs a significant amount of updating and
> changing.  The first step in that process is to figure out what needs
> to be changed.
>
> If you can a take a moment and thoroughly review just one
> question and add your comments and concerns it
> would be immensely helpful.
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ThwackAFAQ

Under: removable-drives

Would it be worth mentioning no /dev/xxxs1 is created when the device is
plugged in after boot?

E.G. 1:
I have a Zip Drive which is /dev/da1.
Everything is fine if a disk is in when I boot, but if I insert the
media after boot, /dev/da1s1 is not there.
I need to "mount /dev/da1 /mnt": this also fails, but now I have
/dev/da1s1 and can mount it.

E.G. 2:
I connect my Android phone with an USB cable: it will be /dev/da7.
Again I have no /dev/da7s1 until I "dd count=0 if=/dev/random of=/dev/da7".

Same happens with CompactFlash, MMC, SD, etc...

  bye
	av.