Problems with ZFS's user quota.

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Wed Nov 14 00:13:52 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm having problem using user quotas in ZFS, I think something is broken, but it very possible that I'm just doing something wrong.

I have two problems actually:

1. When trying to define quota for a filesystem that has sub filesystem the zfs userspace behaves weird:

[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs userspace tank/system
TYPE        NAME   USED  QUOTA
POSIX User  root  9,16K   none
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs set userquota at takeda=7G tank/system
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs userspace tank/system
TYPE        NAME     USED  QUOTA
POSIX User  root    9,16K   none
POSIX User  takeda     7G
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs set userquota at takeda=1PB tank/system
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs userspace tank/system
TYPE        NAME     USED  QUOTA
POSIX User  root    9,16K   none
POSIX User  takeda     1P
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs set userquota at takeda=none tank/system

Is it possible to set quota that would also be inherited by subfilesystem? For example if I have 2 filesystems under tank/system I want them to share the quota, so when I set 7GB the total data use would be 7GB max (and not 7GB per filesystem)

2. Setting quota works fine on filesystem that has files by given users, but does not seem to be enforced (I enabled quota in the kenrel even though I don't belive it is ecessary).

[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs userspace tank/system/home
TYPE        NAME              USED  QUOTA
[...]
POSIX User  takeda           6,06G   none
[...]
POSIX User  www              1,34G   none
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs set userquota at takeda=7G tank/system/home
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs userspace tank/system/home
TYPE        NAME              USED  QUOTA
[...]
POSIX User  takeda           6,06G     7G
[...]
POSIX User  www              1,34G   none
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# sudo su - takeda
chinatsu :: ~ » dd if=/dev/zero of=bigfile bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 7.882992 secs (136209934 bytes/sec)
chinatsu :: ~ »
[chinatsu]:/tank/system# zfs userspace tank/system/home
TYPE        NAME              USED  QUOTA
[...]
POSIX User  takeda           7,06G     7G
[...]
POSIX User  www              1,34G   none
[chinatsu]:/tank/system#

It looks like ZFS does not allow me set quota in fractions (for example 6.5GB, but I guess that's not that big of a deal).

Thank you,
Derek