SU+J on 9.1-RC2 ISO

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sun Nov 4 12:42:44 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 01:13 PM, HATANO Tomomi wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> The point is:
>
>      There is completely no way to take a snapshot of SU+J partition
>      unless modify one's kernel.
>
> Whether some issue still exist or not,
> how about enabling snapshoting SU+J partition
> through sysctl variable?
>
> Would you mind to see patch attached?
>
> 1. Taking a snapshot of SU+J partition is controlled through sysctl variable.
>
> 2. Default to disable.
>     One who want to enable it should set the variable manually.
>
> 3. The default value in bsdinstall(8) may be left as is.

Hi
If I understand correctly this still leaves your default installed
system with SU+J and if you set the sysctl variable it means okay I am
prepared for trouble when taking a snapshot of a SU+J filesystem?
Why would I want a sysctl variable that gives me known trouble?
Or have I misread your patch?

When taking a snapshot of a SU+J filesystem we already get the nice not
supported error instead of getting into trouble.

I think SU+J should not be default unless it works fine with the rest of
the system as described in the handbook.

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.