freebsd-update and surces of 9.1-RC3

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:44:41 UTC 2012

Eugene Grosbein <eugen <at> grosbein.net> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to use freebsd-update for first time.
> I have 9.0-RELEASE installed without sources and I have read Handbook chapter
> and manual page for freebsd-update.
> How do I make freebsd-update to download and install sources
> for 9.1-RC3 so I could rebuild custom kernel?

You did not get src updated because you did not have it before.
Because there was no official announcement, I can give you a link (similar to
one for -RC2), from which you can get the sources src.txz:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/i386/9.1-RC3/
Be sure to check download's signature in MANIFEST file.
After that:
- make backup of anything you got in /usr/src, and remove that dir
  # rm -rf /usr/src
- unpack downloaded file locally into /usr/src dir (that destination dir is
  a default)

jb