IPv6 and CARP crashes boxes

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Thu May 31 13:42:49 UTC 2012

Hey list,

The thread about "Why Are You Using FreeBSD", listing the pros and cons
of FBSD, has brought back a topic to mind.

Recently (read, < 3 months ago) I was experimenting with IPv6 and CARP
on 8.x boxes and that crashed them both.

I posted a thread on -net and, sadly, never got a single reply.

Has anyone else run into problems when using IPv6 + CARP ?

I plan to hold a presentation at work on IP6 and why we should start
using it, however I cannot promote the use of IP6 without redundancy
between firewalls like we currently do with CARP + pfsync.

I can, of course, post additional information as required.