Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 30 20:31:26 UTC 2012

On 30 May 2012 19:20, David Chisnall <theraven at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.
>
> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it?

You might not have wanted opinions from developers... but

1) Complete base system-- if I mess up badly with ports I can delete
them all and still have a usable system to recover from

2) Simplicity of configuration-- mostly configured with flat text
files rather than directories full of conf files

3) Friendly community; easy to get support from people who really know
what they're doing.

Chris