Different features on different CPU cores?!

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:15:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

Today I want to compile the latest www/chromium, and I found that I
encountered some SSSE3 problems, with either gcc46/clang, and I found
that this new version requires (S)SSE3 support.

My CPU is a Intel i5 M 520, which suppose to support these. But when
I'm checking the CPU features, I see:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz (2394.02-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x20652  Family = 6  Model = 25  Stepping = 2
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CM
OV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x298e3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16
,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI>

What? Different features on different cores? Is it my CPU's problem or
FreeBSD's problem?

--
Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray