STABLE/9 SMP ACPI suspend/resume - video mode not being restored

Mitsuru IWASAKI iwasaki at jp.FreeBSD.org
Sat May 26 09:10:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

> No, I didn't have vesa loaded. I'll load that now and try tomorrow
> after a reboot.

vesa(4) has video BIOS init hack run in vm86-mode or on x86 emulator.
I think it is cool.  My X61 still need video BIOS init in
acpi_wakecode, because it seems vesa's BIOS init ends incompletely by
page fault for now though.

> yes, I tried switching VTYs, each VTY had the same issue. I guess the
> driver isn't doing a VGA mode change when I switch VTYs unless the
> screens are in different modes?

If you have a vty with initial video mode, switching vtys will work I think.

Oh yes, please try the following patches.
http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/acpi/syscons-vesa-resume-20120526.diff

This is already done in vesa(4), added support non-vesa mode.

> FWIW, Xorg suspend/resume via the "switch to VTY before suspending"
> hack works on this Thinkpad T60. It's not optimal but hey, it _does_
> work. :)

Long time ago, I added the hack trying to make it as small as possible
for the same effect :)
Now we need the true solution...

Thanks!