Make buildkernel fails on /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cam.c

Thomas Mueller mueller230 at insightbb.com
Sat May 19 21:57:33 UTC 2012

> My daily stable/9 build (& boot) was successful at r235604:

> FreeBSD g1-227.catwhisker.org 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #162 235604M: Fri May 18 04:39:02 PDT 2012
> +root at g1-227.catwhisker.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  i386

> Peace,
> david
> --
> David H. Wolfskill                              david at catwhisker.org

So maybe I just need to csup again and try again, "make buildworld" followed by "make buildkernel"?

Where do you find the number r235604 either in the built-and-installed system or the source tree?

I looked in /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh and some other files.

> That's nice, but do you have 'device ata' in the configuration? It is
> required, even with ATA_CAM.

> Also, the thread states that atapicam is not needed with ATA_CAM. I
> don't have atapicam it in my kernel and my SATA CD/DVD drive works
> just fine.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer

I had both 'device ata' and 'device atapicam' in kernel configuration, in accordance with online FreeBSD Handbook:

> 19.6.9 Using the ATAPI/CAM Driver
> Contributed by Marc Fonvieille.

> This driver allows ATAPI devices (CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD drives etc...) to be accessed through the SCSI subsystem, and so allows the use of applications like sysutils/cdrdao or cdrecord(1).

> To use this driver, you will need to add the following line to the /boot/loader.conf file:

> atapicam_load="YES"

> then, reboot your machine.

>     Note: If you prefer to statically compile the atapicam(4) support in your kernel, you will have to add this line to your kernel configuration file:

>     device atapicam

>     You also need the following lines in your kernel configuration file:

>     device ata
>     device scbus
>     device cd
>     device pass

>     which should already be present. Then rebuild, install your new kernel, and reboot your machine.

But there was nothing about 'options ATA_CAM', which I included.  Maybe you had atapicam kernel module which loaded in the absence of 'device atapicam' in kernel config?

Now I see in /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES, ATA_CAM deprecates all ata drivers including atapicam.  So maybe I need to delete or put '# ' in front of 'device atapicam' in kernel config?  But it worked building 9.0_STABLE #6 from 9.0_RELEASE.

One other thing I could do would be to exclude module ulpt due to idiosyncrasies of HP printers and hplip.

Reason for upgrading to STABLE was spontaneous reboots in 9.0_RELEASE, like maybe once in 48 hours, plus modern hardware needing the latest driver updates.

Tom