[stable-9] Touchpad mouse stopped working

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu May 17 15:35:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2012, Tom Evans wrote:
>> This doesn't work for me, I need working hald as I plug and unplug
>> keyboards and mice each time I take my laptop out of its dock,
>

> There might be some hardware thing in your setup that requires hald, but I
> do manage to hot-connect external USB mice without HAL installed.  One
> notebook needed moused_enable, but that's all.  Can't recall whether that
> one even has InputDevice sections in xorg.conf.  I'll post the config in a
> bit.

Yes, moused is exceptional in that regard, but my main issue is
attaching/detaching keyboards. Most of my time, I use a PS/2 Model M,
connected to a laptop dock with a USB<->PS/2 adaptor. I need that when
I undock, I can use the laptop keyboard, and when I redock, that I get
back my external keyboard.

I suppose the equivalent to sysmouse/moused is kbdmux, but with hald
and older Xorg, this did just DTRT.

Cheers

Tom

PS: I just read to the end of the thread, Warren your config looks
interesting if it can handle hotplugging keyboards. I will give this a
try this evening, I also want to do some testing to see if the state
in hald changes between xorg restarts.