fsck_ufs running too often

Leonardo M. Ramé martinrame at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 21:47:23 UTC 2012

Hi, since a few of days ago, I noticed my home server turns very slow more than once a day, so every time I run "top" to see what's processes are running, I can see fsck_ufs at the very top, and the hard drive working like mad.

I've checked my crontab and there's nothing related to fsck_ufs, where can I start searching for the cause of the problem?, I thought this process should run only at boot or shutdown, but this time it is running -apparently- without a cause.

uname -a:
FreeBSD server.my.local 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC 2012     root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Regards,
Leonardo M. Ramé