Seeking 6.4 make source for ports

Michael R. Wayne freebsd07 at wayne47.com
Wed Jun 20 18:56:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:26:02AM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 06:57:59 +0200, Michael R. Wayne
> <freebsd07 at wayne47.com> wrote:
>
> >Google is littered with messages from people who have 6.3 systems
> >and can no longer upgrade ports. It appears that a recent change
> >requires the version of make from 6.4.
> >
> >While it would be ideal if freebsd.org would build a 6.4 make on a
> >6.3 system and pseudo-officially support it, a reasonable alternative
> >would be a simple way to download just the files required to build
> >the 6.4 version of make on 6.3.
> >
> >Any possibility to get this tossed on a site someplace?
>
> Do you have a problem yourself or did you just found some messages on
> google?

Have the problem myself. There are ports with security vulnerabilities
and the recent change broke make for ports. I went to Google and
found lots of other people with the same problem. The suggested fix
is to use the make from 6.4. Hence my request.

> I presume you are running 6.3 yourself. Why don't you upgrade the OS to
> 6.4 or 7+, but you do upgrade the ports on an unsupported OS?

Upgrading a port can be done without rebooting the machine. Upgrading
the O/S is a MUCH more major undertaking and is almost never a "clean"
process. Plus the time investment multiplied by many machines is huge
(and dreaded).

So, any chance of getting a 6.4 make compiled for 6.3?