How to bind a route to a network adapter and not IP

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Jun 17 21:10:58 UTC 2012

> > I loose packets because I use a WLAN adapter. Sometimes the link is down for
> > various reasons, and then the routes start changing for manually created
> > routes, and I want to prevent that.
>
> well that is certainly not a reason for changing routes
>
> I have the feeling you are not explaining good enough what really is
> going on and it may help sending your configurations and an example of
> routes and IP addresses before and after this route change

Why is this so hard to understand? "Link down" leads to "static route
is deleted". This is standard FreeBSD behavior, and has been this way
for as long as I can remember (btw, I believe this behavior is from
the original BSD, not FreeBSD specific).

You can show this by having a static default route pointing to an
address on an Ethernet interface which has link. And then pulling the
TP cable from the Ethernet interface. Observe that the default route
is automatically removed.

My claim is that this behavior is reasonable *but* I'd like the route
restored when the link comes back up again. This is standard Cisco /
Juniper behavior - but *not* standard FreeBSD behavior.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no