kern/157863: [geli] kbdmux prevents geli passwords from being entered properly on boot

Thomas Steen Rasmussen thomas at gibfest.dk
Wed Jun 13 12:25:10 UTC 2012

Hello,

Just to let everyone know that this is still an issue.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 on a Lenovo X121e and I
can't get it to accept the geli passphrase during boot. I've confirmed
using kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=1 that the passphrase is
correct, and the same passphrase is accepted when the system is
booted up.

I've tried disabling kbdmux in /boot/device.hints like the PR said,
but that didn't help. I also tried disabling atkbd and atkbdc without
any luck, infact I couldn't type anything at all when disabling those.

Any hints or suggestions to what I might try ? I have another 9-stable
laptop that mounts a geli volume at boot, no idea why that one works
and this new one doesn't.

Thanks in advance,

/Thomas Steen Rasmussen