su problem

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Jun 12 11:42:59 UTC 2012

On 6/9/12 9:55 AM, Sami Halabi wrote:
> Hi,
> I Just finished upgrade from FBSD-8.1-R fresh system to FBSD-8.3-p2.
> once done, i created regular accounts, in wheel group.
>
> first all was okay, but suddenly i found my self blocked out, because i
> can't ssh as root, and i can't su either, when i su i get this:
> %su -
> Password:
>
> and it stuck in that state whitout givving me root shell #.
>
> any ideas how to solve this problem? the system is in the servers farm and
> i need to drive 3 hours each direction, so if there is remote solution i
> would appreciate it.
>

> %more /etc/group
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/group,v 1.35.10.2.2.1 2012/03/03 06:15:13 kensmith Exp $
> #
> wheel:*:0:root,sody
> .
> .
> .
> sody:*:1001:
>
> Thanks in advance,

Ok so, I've read all the replies so far and I'm a bit perplexed.

Sami, before you drive 3 hours to and 3 hours fro, kindly log in as sody
over SSH, then try "login" to connect *locally* as the root user.

If that works, you'll at least have recovered root access and will be
able to install sudo, which should help you a great deal.

Of course there's still the matter of finding what's wrong with your
machine, afterwards.