Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Jun 10 16:34:22 UTC 2012

John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > On 06/10/12 09:54, Martin Sugioarto wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > - It would be nice to have a mechanism that tells you that your perl,
 > >    mysql or whatever is not the default version anymore and you should
 > >    consider updating to the default (and recommended) port.
 >
 >  From /etc/defaults/periodic.conf:
 >
 > # 400.status-pkg
 > weekly_status_pkg_enable="YES"                # Find out-of-date pkgs

That doesn't do what Martin asked for.  It only tells you
if a specific port has an update, but it won't tell you
if the default version of a port changed.  For example,
when the default version of Python was changed from 2.6
to 2.7.  It also won't tell you if the origin of a port
doesn't exist anymore at all.

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless