Netflix's New Peering Appliance Uses FreeBSD

Scott Long scottl at netflix.com
Wed Jun 6 03:29:30 UTC 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:42 PM, David Magda wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2012, at 20:16, Scott Long wrote:
>
>> If you have any questions, let me know or follow the information links on the
>> OpenConnect web site.
>
> Out of curiosity, given that Linux seems popular in so many other places (Google, Facebook), is there any particular reason why FreeBSD was chosen for this?
>
> I'm sure Linux is used in many other places (much of Netflix's IT infrastructure is on Amazon IIRC), so I'm kind of surprised that they went with FreeBSD when they probably already have so much knowledge with Linux.

Linux works wonderfully on EC2 for our C&C and computational tasks, FreeBSD is proving to work well on deployed hardware for serving bits.  It highly maintainable, and there's an excellent community supporting it.  From the website:

For the operating system, we use FreeBSD <http://www.freebsd.org/> version
9.0. This was selected for its balance of stability and features, a strong
development community and staff expertise. We will contribute changes we
make as part of our project to the community through the FreeBSD committers
on our team.