ZFS autoexpand when there are 2 raidz2 vdevs

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Jun 5 12:47:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

Am 05.06.2012 um 14:28 schrieb Holger Kipp:
> I used
> zpool set autoextend=on tank
> zpool online -e tank da0
> zpool online -e tank da1
> zpool online -e tank da7
>
> to increase the size of a raidz2
> here from 5+ to 11+TB. Worked without problems.

datatomb2# zpool online -e sx40 gpt/sx40-disk0
datatomb2# zpool online -e sx40 gpt/sx40-disk5

datatomb2# zpool get all sx40
NAME  PROPERTY       VALUE       SOURCE
sx40  size           16.3T       -

Thanks!

> This was with v28. Please check manages etc. for further explanations.

Done :-) Still puzzled why this worked "automagically" before. I don't have the
time right now to check the repository for a change that might disable the
automatic expansion of all new devices, but I suspect something like this.
I see how it is safer if you trigger expansion manually. E.g. if you need to use
a bigger temporary disk untill your warranty replacement with the correct size arrives.

Best regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100