cvsup{, d} woes after upgrading to RELENG_9 on amd64 this weekend

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 4 09:32:56 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-04 10:53, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> After upgrading to RELENG_9 as of yesterday on my amd64 system, cvsup
> bombs out with Bus error: 10.
> The only recent change I can think of is switching to clang for
> building the kernel and base. Made I should rebuild world and kernel
> using gcc.

Currently, the ezm3 port is broken for a world compiled with clang (or
more specifically, for a world that uses SSE), see:

The problem is that ezm3 doesn't correctly align the stack, causing
certain routines in libz to crash, because clang emits SSE instructions
in them, whilst assuming the stack is 16-byte aligned.  This could also
occur with any other compiler that uses SSE.  Basically, ezm3 doesn't
seem to respect the amd64 ABI.

I haven't been able to fix ezm3's stack alignment; it is based on a very
old branch of gcc, and I am not familiar with Modula-3 in general.  Any
assistance in this area will be greatly appreciated.

That said, since the ezm3 software is essentially unmaintained, the
only practical solutions to your problem currently are:

- Compile libz without SSE
- Compile libz with gcc
- Use csup instead of cvsup
- Fix ezm3 to respect the amd64 ABI
- Rewrite cvsupd in C (this is left as an exercise for the reader ;)