Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Erich erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sun Jun 3 01:06:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 02 June 2012 PM 3:47:27 Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On 02.06.12 15:32, Erich wrote:
> > I know that the ports tree is a moving target. But it stops moving during the release period. This could be used to give a fall back solution.
> >
> > Or do I see this really too simple?
>
> The ports tree is a moving target during release periods still, although
> there are efforts to make movements smaller. This is why, after a
> release it suddenly moves more :)

I know. I save me as many versions as possible during a release just as a fall back.

I did not do this before and got hit several times when I believed that all I need is the installation of a small program.

Anyway, the team knows the version of the tree used for the release they are working on. Making this ports tree easily available could help to overcome some problems.

Erich