Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sat Jun 2 04:42:27 UTC 2012

On 02.06.2012, at 03:06, David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2012, at 08:33, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>
>> For example if one wants an e-mail server, that is better served in the long run by IMAP+MTA than any form of Exchange, because you are not tied to one single platform and that vendor's lunacy. Otherwise FreeBSD runs just fine as server for about any other OS client, provided those clients use standard Internet protocols.
>
> If all you want is e-mail, then there are certainly better options than Exchange IMHO. However, once you get into calendars (private and shared, with delegation to secretaries, etc.), meeting rooms, ActiveSync (to remotely wipe lost devices), then it's a whole different game.

There are a lot of open source calendaring applications, of all kinds. Most run fine on FreeBSD.

I really see no reason why your 'mail or calendaring server' should be able to wipe your devices.. This is the sort of bloat that keeps me away. From Microsoft products.

> E-mail was solved a long time ago, but Exchange does many things on top of it that many organizations find very handy, and where there doesn't seem to be a decent open alternative.

Hope you are not of the opinion that first there was Exchange, then all other e-mail servers appeared, "copying" it. History was exactly the other way around. We were using it long before Microsoft discovered this Internet thing exists and first tried to kill it.
Again it is not about open source. It is about non-proprietary protocols. All proprietary platforms turn to be more expensive in every respect in a while.

In this regard I rather prefer the way Apple handles things. Shiny wrapper interface to pretty much generic technology. No reinvention of the wheel and experiments to see if it can be made square.

Daniel