Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Adam Strohl adams-freebsd at ateamsystems.com
Fri Jun 1 11:01:58 UTC 2012

On 6/1/2012 17:19, Katinka wrote:
> There's a nice discussion going on, over at Phoronix.
> <http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?71263>
> For some reason, they don't seem to like us very much.

Lots of the comments remind me about Linux vs. Windows in the late 90s,
and taken with a grain of salt are fairly amusing because of how
ignorant a lot of them are.

I found this particularly fitting comment at the very end:

"If you'd ask me for the biggest difference between Linux and BSD users:
We know all about Linux - They know nothing about BSD. "

Which is sad really, their lives could be so much easier if only they
knew how much better it could be ;D  (My opinion of course, I'm sure
lots of people think Windows Server administration is easier than any
UNIX -- just not on this list).  To each their own, and arguing about it
is counter-productive.

I do think that forum post underscores the need for advocacy though --
we need to get the message out as to why FreeBSD is better than any OS
in a lot of applications (which is different than arguing it out on
Linux forums).  We need them to try it out and expose them to the things
that make it great so they see it first hand.  Because it is clear most
of these posters are very ignorant about FreeBSD -- that's really "our"
collective fault.

Trolls and fanbois aside there is probably a huge number of Linux admins
out there who just use it "because that is what they use" .. in the same
way that Windows admins in the 90s hadn't really heard of Linux and
feared it because they didn't understand it.

My 2 cents + attempt at keeping this thread constructive .... I think
I'm going to go sign up for the FreeBSD-advocacy list now ...