ZFS version upgrading.....

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Feb 27 11:07:43 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-27 8:40, Peter Maloney wrote:
> And one word of advice: If you want to upgrade your pools to v28, I
> think you should consider recreating your pools as v28 rather than
> upgrading. There are some side effects to upgrading, such as logs that
> can't be removed.

Hi Peter,

Although your advise is a sensible one....
It does not work if the ZFS system is full of data, and it's
hard/impossible to rebuild.

I have experience the other way around. My ZFS raidz2 is pretty old,
probably even from the 7.x times... And I've upgraded it regulary to new
versions.

I even upgraded to v28, to be able to remove log's that we on USB sticks
and all. No problem at all. And I do have removed logs quite a few times
to look at different configs with my SSDs.

Again: if you have te possibility to rebuild, why not.

--WjW