random problem with 8.3 from yesterday

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:56:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>     On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:34:36 +0700 Erich Dollansky
> <erich at alogreentechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>>I got a new thumb drive which was FAT formatted. I use this script to change this:
>>
>>!/bin/tcsh
>>#
>># This script format a thumb drive connected to USB as da0.
>>#
>>printf "You have to run this script as 'root' to succeed.\n"
>>printf "Warning this script will delete all your data from /dev/da0. Continue? > "
>>set Eingabe = $<
>>if ("$Eingabe" == "y") then
>>   printf "\nDeleting the device "
>>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1k count=1
>>   printf "\nWriting the BSD label "
>>   bsdlabel -Bw da0 auto
>
>     Hmmm...so no MBR and no GPT either?  Just the bare device?  I guess
> I haven't tried that, so I don't know what that would do.

Call me a bit confused, but I thought -B did write an MBR. It always
has seemed to do so for me, at any rate. From man bsdlabel:
"Installing Bootstraps
     If the -B option is specified, bootstrap code will be read from the file
     /boot/boot and written to the disk."
Or am I not understanding something?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer