mpslsi0 : Trying sleep, but thread marked as sleeping prohibited

Desai, Kashyap Kashyap.Desai at lsi.com
Thu Feb 23 22:06:17 UTC 2012

OK.

> mtx locks were designed to protect small sections of code where thread
> is only allowed to block waiting for other thread to release the lock of
> similar class. While threads are blocked, they get benefit of adaptive
> sleep and priority propagation and should take precaution of never
> taking the path of code that can cause them to sleep. Assertions are
> there to help code authors with that.
>
> sleep locks are by definition unbound. There is no spinning, no priority
> propagation. Holders are free to take, say, page faults and go to long
> journey to disk and back, etc.

I understood your above lines.
> Hardly the stuff _anyone_ would want to
> do from interrupt handler, thread or otherwise.

So the way mps driver does in interrupt handler is as below.

mps_lock(sc);
mps_intr_locked(data);
mps_unlock(sc);

We hold the mtx lock in Interrupt handler and do whole bunch of work(this is bit lengthy work) under that.
It looks mps driver is miss using mtx_lock. Are we ?

~ Kashyap