FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Thu Feb 23 20:15:16 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:25:01 -0600, Damien Fleuriot <ml at my.gd> wrote:

> Now, I find the number of problem reports regarding 9.0-RELEASE alarming
> and I'm growing more and more fearful towards it.

Then stick with the 8.x train until it's no longer supported. Also, don't
you know the rule about running .0 releases in production? :)

9.0 had LOTS of changes. They were very important. It's going to take a
while for the community to fully absorb them and bugs to be worked out. We
don't have enough testers of -CURRENT to prevent this. Everything seemed
stable (ie, no release blockers) for the people running -CURRENT and
-PRERELEASE, BETAs, and RCs, so it was released.

But as always, TEST TEST TEST and please have a proper staging/test
environment before you throw your production into 9.x.

Only YOU can prevent forest fires^W^W unplanned outages.