[CFT] modular kernel config

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed Feb 22 22:31:41 UTC 2012

On 21. Feb 2012, at 13:35 , Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> You can download from
>  http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/
> The files are
>  - i386_SMALL
>  - i386_SMALL_loader.conf
>  - amd64_SMALL
>  - amd64_SMALL_loader.conf

I only looked at the laoder.conf for amd64 and the only comment I have is that I do not have the time to wait minutes for all individual modules to be loaded.  This is going to be really bad for boot time.

> The new stuff in the kernel config compared to GENERIC is (in order of number of requests from users):
> - IPSEC (+ device enc + IPSEC_NAT_T)

You cannot ship that on by default for non-tecnical reasons in a kernel.  Please do not commit a kernel config that can be booted (no LINT cannot be booted) with these on without consulting appropriate hats upfront.

> - ALTQ
> - SW_WATCHDOG
> - QUOTA
> - IPSTEALTH (disabled in loader.conf)
> - IPFIREWALL_FORWARD (touches every packet, power users which need
>   a bigger PPS but not this feature can recompile the kernel,
>   discussed with julian@)
> - FLOWTABLE (disabled in loader.conf)

Which is not the same as it's not 100% disabled and will still allocate memory.

   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!