nmbclusters: how do we want to fix this for 8.3 ?

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:18:20 UTC 2012

Using igb and/or ixgbe on a reasonably powered server requires 1K mbuf
clusters per MSIX vector,
that's how many are in a ring. Either driver will configure 8 queues on a
system with that many or more
cores, so 8K clusters per port...

My test engineer has a system with 2 igb ports, and 2 10G ixgbe, this is
hardly heavy duty, and yet this
exceeds the default mbuf pool on the installed kernel (1024 + maxusers *
64).

Now, this can be immediately fixed by a sysadmin after that first boot, but
it does result in the second
driver that gets started to complain about inadequate buffers.

I think the default calculation is dated and should be changed, but am not
sure the best way, so are
there suggestions/opinions about this, and might we get it fixed before 8.3
is baked?

Cheers,

Jack