New BSD Installer

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 03:45:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> I'm surprised that given the nature of these two bits (GPT vs. GEOM),
> that the GEOM layer cannot simply lie about the full capacity of the
> partition, or something to that effect.

GEOM can already do this. gvirstor and gnop do something like this, and
gnop may be of particular use.  You could gmirror some drives, gnop it to a
slightly smaller provider, then GPT the resulting device.  At least that's
how it could work in my understanding, I haven't actually attempted it.

--
Adam Vande More