problems with AHCI on FreeBSD 8.2

Oscar Prieto oscarmpp at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:59:07 UTC 2012

Yesterday I did a backup of the sensible stuff of the pool and decided
to just break stuff on purpose ;)

I writed with dd over the sector marked as faulty by smartctl and
runned a smartctl short test. I repeated the process several times
until smartctl gave no errors at all on ada3.

After that i left the pool doing a scrub and it seemed to  repair the
integrity of the pool:
------
[root at zaibach ~]# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
	attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
	using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
 scan: scrub repaired 398K in 10h39m with 0 errors on Thu Feb 16 09:15:59 2012
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada3p1  ONLINE       0     0    11
	    ada0p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
-----

But funnily i got an ahci timeout on other drive, /dev/ada2.
-----
Feb 16 04:08:23 zaibach kernel: ahcich2: Timeout on slot 15 port 0
Feb 16 04:08:23 zaibach kernel: ahcich2: is 00000000 cs 00040000 ss
00078000 rs 00078000 tfd c0 serr 00000000 cmd 0004d217
-------

At least a short smartctl test on /dev/ada2 doesn't seem to complain this time.