something wrong with dmesg?

Sergey Kandaurov pluknet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:27:07 UTC 2012

On 16 February 2012 12:58, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I just noticed that lately in 9.x and maybe 8-Stable, dmesg seems to return
> nothing if
> there is active logging going on. I saw someone else refer to this as well.
>
> Has this been reported?

Didn't we have this for years? I cannot recall there was a difference to the
current behavior since 8.x or 7.x (or even 6.x).
kern.msgbuf includes messages sent with syslog, and if they dominate
then you might get empty dmesg output. By default it skips non-kernel
(or rather those messages which doesn't use BSD syslog format)
messages, and you can include them using dmesg -a.

--
wbr,
pluknet