New BSD Installer

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:51:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Devin Teske <devin.teske at fisglobal.com> wrote:

> [...]

I suggest that both be implemented, which looks to the untrained eye
as a straight-forward thing to implement, and then the install ask if
a single partition or a traditional multi-partition system should be
installed. I prefer multi and use that on all of my systems.

I also really prefer GPT for a variety of reasons, but we need better
tools to support things. I miss booteasy. Yes, you can get it to boot
from a different partition, but it is a pain. I deal with it by
putting FreeBSD on one disk and Windows on another when I want a
dual-boot system. I put the MBR formatted (Windows) is first in the
boot order, so I can just hit F5 to boot the FreeBSD disk.

This works for me, but I suspect that lots of people would prefer
having multiple OSes on a single disk...especially when it's a single
spindle laptop. (I suspect laptops are more commonly dual-boot than
most any other platform.)

As for fdisk and bsdlabel, I'm happy to see both go. They have a
horrid user interface and require a calculator to get right. Yes, I
use them, but only because there is no other way to do some things.
(sade(8) comes closer all of the time, though.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com